Tuesday, January 29, 2013

Shimmy Shimmy Cocoa Pop..

Who remembers this guy? Josh Baskin? It might be a throwback for some of you, but this was one of my all time favorite movies. If you have not seen Big, do yourself a favor and watch it on Netflix. I can still remember his rendition of the jingle he and his best friend Billy Kopecki sang while walking down the street as kids and the one thing that revealed he was magically transformed into an adult through the Zoltar fortune teller. 
 
*"Down down baby down by the roller coaster, sweet sweet baby I'll never let you go, shimmy shimmy cocoa pop, shimmy shimmy rock, shimmy shimmy cocoa pop, shimmy shimmy rock, I met a girlfriend a biscuit, she said a triscuit a biscuit, ice cream soda pop, vanilla on the top..ooohhh Shaleena walkin' down the street 10 times a week, I met it, I said it, I stole my mommas credit, I'm cool, I'm hot, no your not, sock me in the stomach three more times."* 
 
Complete from memory, thanks..moving on. :) You are probably wondering what my rambling about Josh Baskin and Kopecki have to do with my thought for today..the movie is a perfect depiction of what adults really miss out on when they do not keep their child like mindedness. What do children really think adults do? A child's innocent comments and behaviors make me smile more often than not.
 
The funny part is how many people in life do not recognize the things that children do and the way that children act is a direct result of how we as the adults lead them by example. If that is really true though, how come as children, we think that adulthood is the same life, just bigger people. You know they are thinking..why can adults do what they want, when they want, and why do we adults always go back to a time in our minds where we had no responsibilities and lived carefree with a child like mindedness?
 
Today I realized why.
 
As adults we need our child like minds to be refreshed, revealed, revelled in, and celebrated. I mean who wouldn't jump on a life size piano or roll around in a human hamster wheel if given the chance? OOohhh pick me! Pick me! Life does not have to be so serious, it does not have to be so regimented with our children that they wish they could be the adults so they wouldn't have to fit in a box and never be able to be celebrated or laughed with..even when we as adults just plain don't feel like it.
 
This brings me to my Resolution #2. I will laugh every day with my children and appreciate their minds as they grow into adults. I will fully appreciate their creativity and get just as excited about their individual passions..with them. I will show them even on the tired endless days as a mom that they are worth celebrating. Keep your child like mindedness, you surely won't regret it.

No comments: