Thursday, July 28, 2011

Fabulous Phoenix

I laugh at myself sometimes when I sit down to write, because as each day passes by I add a few more lines to my life story and store it in my brain. I know that doesn't do much for this diary and when I finally make the moment by spilling my thoughts onto these pages it ends up being more of a ramble than a structured update. Oh well. That's one of my beautiful character traits! *pat on the back* =)

Waking up last weekend in Phoenix to the smell of a roasting turkey in the oven was quite heavenly. The kids and I headed out on Friday morning to Arizona where I was born and lived for a few years. Currently, my brother and SIL, Bea :), my momma, dad, father, uncle, and granny live there. Our trip was pre-planned since January and it became the start of a new family tradition that I created called "Christmas in July."

Over the last 12 years, I have spent 2 actual Christmas holidays with my parents. Josh and I have always spent it in Texas with all of my inlaws and extended family and friends. It always seemed more of a battle and harder on the pocketbook to make that trip to Az. during the holidays. Not to mention, fit it all in. I was starting to feel a little left out and so was my side of the family tree. So, in an effort to solve the issue, I suggested last November that every year in July, my side of the family tree would unite in a central location and we would refer to it as our "Christmas in July." This means no one has to buy gifts, make expensive travel trips, or worry about who was left out during the daunting holiday season. The kids were out of school, it is our slower time at the office, Josh has more opportunity to take a couple days off, after Christmas sales are WAY better than before Christmas sales and best of all, who doesn't like to enjoy a little Christmas decor mid-year!

My brother put his tree up, we cooked a traditional dinner, opened presents, had a Monopoly tournament, took naps, opened gifts, listened to my brother play his piano, and laughed a whole lot!! This was the best Christmas ever.

Next year, we have discussed taking our celebration up North to visit family in Toledo. This would give us the chance to spend some time with my grandparents on my dad (Jim's) side of the family. Who knows, maybe the year after that we will go tropical, or go to Colorado, or Italy..the best part is that every year for at least a week, we are all together and that makes all the difference in the world. Families are AWESOME!

I didn't get a whole lot of pics during the festivities because my camera was out of commission...Hope to get another one soon.

No comments: